Québec First-Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit (TP-752.HA-V)

New for 2018, if you or your spouse bought your first home in 2018, you might qualify for the Québec First-Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit. This non-refundable tax credit can be claimed on the TP-752.HA-V form if:

  • You were a resident of Québec on December 31, 2018 and
  • You or your spouse bought a qualifying home for the first time in 2018 and you intend to make it your principal residence no later than one year after purchasing it or
  • You bought a qualifying home in 2018 and intend to make it a principal residence (no later than one year after purchasing it) of someone related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption who has a disability and the residence is either:
    • More accessible for the disabled person or helps the person be more mobile or functional or
    • Provides an environment that is better suited to the person’s needs and care


  • You’re a first-time buyer, if you and your spouse are not already the owner or co-owner of a home you lived in 2018 or the previous four years (from January 1, 2014 to the date you bought the qualifying home).
  • If you bought a qualifying home for someone related to you who has a disability, it doesn’t need to be your first home. 

What is a qualifying home?

A qualifying home is one that is:

  • Located in Québec
  • An individual house that is detached, semi-detached or a row house, a manufactured home or mobile home, a condominium, or an apartment in a multiple-unit residential complex.

Note: A qualifying home can also be a share of the capital stock of a cooperative housing corporation that entitles you to own a housing unit (the right to which is published in the land register).

Remember, in order to be a first-time home buyer, you and your spouse can’t be an owner or a co-owner of a home you lived in 2018 or the previous four years (from January 1, 2014 to the date you bought the qualifying home). 

Disabled relative

According to Revenu Québec a disabled person is one who:

  • is at least 18 years of age at the time the expenses were paid
  • lives with you  
  • cannot be left without supervision because of a disability and
  • has a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions or receives palliative care.

For the purposes of this tax credit, a disabled person can be you or someone who was related to you by blood, marriage or adoption (on the date of the home purchase) such as:

  • your spouse
  • your or your spouse’s parent or grandparent
  • your or your spouse’s child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • the spouse of your or your spouse’s brother or sister

Note: Your niece, nephew, uncle and aunt are not considered to be related to you.

How much can I claim?

The maximum you can claim is $750 for a qualifying home. The tax credit is calculated by multiplying 15% (first taxable income bracket) by $5,000.

You and your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) can split the tax credit as long as the combined amount isn’t more than the maximum claimable. Keep in mind, if you decide to split the amount both of you would need to complete the TP-752.HA page in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software.

Note: This amount can only be claimed in the year you bought your home – it cannot be carried forward to be claimed in a future year.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2018 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you’ve told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2018.

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  2. Under SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE, select the checkbox labelled Tax credit for buying a home (TP-752.HA-V) and click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the TP-752.HA-V page, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
25 out of 26 found this helpful