Error code 261

You'll see the following error message in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software if, on your T4A: Statement of pension, retirement, annuity, and other income page, you entered an amount in box 48 but did not complete the T2125: Statement of business and professional activities page:

Make sure you report your fees (in box 48 on your T4A slip) as self-employment income, and any expenses related to those fees. They should be entered on the Statement of business or professional activities (T2125) page. To find this page, click the IN THIS SECTION icon under the PREPARE tab. In the Self-employment income and expenses box, click the Add This Topic button. Then go to the EMPLOYMENT section to complete the T2125. Note that if you live in Québec, this page is called Business or professional income and expenses (T2125 & TP-80-V).  [error code: 261]

How do I fix this?

To correct the error, complete the T2125: Statement of business and professional activities page in the tax software or, if you live in Québec, complete the Business or professional income and expenses (T2125 & TP-80-V) page.

If your T4A paper slip has an amount entered in box 48, you must enter this amount on the T4A page and the T2125 (or T2125/TP-80) page in the tax software.  The amount in box 48 refers to fees you received for services that you provided during the year and is treated as self-employment income by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Therefore, this amount must also be reported as business or professional income on your tax return.

Note: To enter your T4A slip into the software, go to the QUICKENTRY tab and click on the QUICK SLIP icon. Enter "T4A" in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue. The T2125 (or T2125/TP-80) page can be found under the EMPLOYMENT icon of the PREPARE tab.




Was this article helpful?
0 out of 1 found this helpful