T2205: Amounts from a spousal or common-law partner RRSP, RRIF or SPP to include in income

If you withdrew an amount from a spousal registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), specified pension plan (SPP), or registered retirement income fund (RRIF) in the same year your spouse made contributions to it (or in the previous two years), a portion of this amount or all of it might have to be included in your and your spouse’s income. If that is the case, you’ll need to complete the T2205 form if the following applies to you:

  • you received an amount from a spousal or common-law partner during the year and
  • your spouse contributed to a spousal RRSP or SPP for you in the current year or in the two preceding years

The T2205 calculates the amount you need to include in your income and how much your spouse must include in his or her income.

Note: Both you and your spouse will need to complete the T2205 form in your returns. Don’t forget to keep a copy of the form for your records.

In addition, if your RRSP, SPP, or RRIF has been deregistered, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) considers you to have received an amount from the plan in the year it was deregistered, in which case you’ll need to complete the T2205 form.

You don’t need to complete this form if any of the following apply:

  • the amount you received is a periodic annuity payment from an RRSP or SPP
  • the amount you received is a minimum amount payment from a RRIF
  • your spouse or common-law partner died in the year
  • when you received the amount or when the RRSP, SPP, or RRIF was deregistered, one of the following applied*:
    • you and your spouse were living separate and apart because of a breakdown in your relationship or
    • you or your spouse wasn’t a resident of Canada

*In either of these situations, include the amounts as part of your own income.

What is a spousal RRSP, SPP, or RRIF?

An RRSP, SPP, or RRIF is a spousal plan or fund if it meets any of the following conditions:

  • your spouse contributed an amount to the RRSP and SPP while you were the annuitant
  • it’s an RRSP, RRIF, or an SPP that has received a payment or a transfer of property from a spousal RRSP, SPP, or RRIF

 Check out the CRA’s website for more information on amounts paid from a spousal RRSP, SPP, or RRIF.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. In the Investments box, click the Add This Topic button.

  3. Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You'll find yourself here:


  4. Under the OTHER INVESTMENT INCOME heading, select the checkbox labelled Amounts from a spousal or common-law partner RRSP, RRIF, or SPP to include in income (T2205), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the T2205 page, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
9 out of 13 found this helpful