ReFILE enables filers who have already submitted their returns to adjust and re-file a return to the Canada Revenu Agency (CRA), without submitting any paper forms. ReFILE is quick, efficient (no postage or paper required), and simple, and it is now available in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software.
Note: To refile your return electronically, your original return must have been filed through NETIFLE and you have to wait until you’ve received your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you need to make any changes.
Some of the most common scenarios where you might want to ReFILE your return are:
- You got a late slip (e.g. RRSP contribution slip) that you did not include in your original return
- You forgot to include a source of income in your original return
- You forgot to claim a deduction or credit that you are entitled to
Note: You cannot use ReFILE to make any adjustments to your personal information (changed marital status, changed address, etc.); it can only be used to adjust a filed tax return (e.g. missed reporting income, forgot to include a slip, etc.).
What tax years can I use the ReFILE service for?
You can only use the ReFILE service in the 2018 and 2017 tax year software with H&R Block. Click HERE to learn more.
Can I refile my Québec return?
Yes! If you need to adjust your Québec return (TP-1), you can use the ReFile functionality within H&R Block’s 2018 tax software to refile your return electronically. Keep in mind, in order to refile your return electronically, your original return must have been filed through NETIFLE and you have to wait until you’ve received your notice of assessment from Revenu Québec.
You can also choose to print out the adjusted return and mail it to Revenu Québec.
How do I refile my 2018 tax return in the software?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2018 tax software:
- From your dashboard, click EDIT for the return that you want to ReFILE. When you make a change to a slip, form, or field in your return, you will be presented with the confirmation that you are making changes to a return that has already been filed and that you want to use the ReFILE service. You can also review which lines (specifically) were adjusted and view your adjusted PDF files.
- Continue making any changes to your return, as required.
- When you arrive at the WRAP-UP tab, on the SUMMARY page, you will see how your changes have impacted your return.
- Before you submit your ReFILE’d return, you will also have to answer some questions from the CRA and Revenu Québec about what and why you adjusted your return.
- When you’re ready, you can submit your return for ReFILE’ing on the FILE tab.