Even accurate returns get reassessed and audited - let us take the stress out of your tax return!
With Audit Protection, we'll be by your side if the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Revenu Québec reassesses or audits your return. We'll also help if the government asks for documents to support your claims or disagrees with your refund or the amount you owe. No matter how long the review process takes, we'll get you through it, every step of the way.
The Audit Protection service will be a huge help to you if any of the following situations come up:
- You receive a notification that your tax return is under pre-assessment review, under processing review, or being reviewed under the matching or special assessment program
- Your notice of assessment amounts don’t match what you filed
- Your tax return is reassessed
- Your tax return is audited
Here's how we'll helpWe’ll assign your file to a tax expert, so you’re backed by more than 50 years of tax expertise. Then:
- We'll explain any mail you receive from the government
- We'll review your return to make sure it's right
- We’ll clarify and validate any changes the government makes to your refund or tax owing
How does it work?
- Gather the documents you used to prepare your return.
- Give us a call!
We’ll assign you a tax expert who’ll be with you throughout the process, to provide guidance and support.
- Let our expertise guide you.
We’ll help you deal with any correspondence between you and the government, until your situation is resolved, and we’ll validate any changes the government wants to make to your return.
Note: The H&R Block tax expert that’s assigned to you will not represent you, provide legal advice, or help develop a defense strategy.
How do I buy this service if I’m using the online software?
If you’re using H&R Block’s 2018 tax software, you can get Audit Protection as a stand-alone service, or as part of our comprehensive PROTECTION package. You can also choose to purchase the service before, or after you file.
Note: If you choose to purchase it after you file, it is a stand-alone service.
What do I need when I redeem Audit Protection?
Make sure you have all the following information handy when redeeming this service:
- Your Audit Protection confirmation number and the tax year it applies to (this will be emailed to you)
- Your NETFILE confirmation number
- Any correspondence from the CRA or Revenu Québec
- Your return and, if necessary, any prior returns
- All the documents you used to prepare your return
Important: This service is only valid for the tax year it was purchased and expires seven years from the date of purchase. Unfortunately, H&R Block will not provide a refund in the event this service expires without being used.