What should I do if my or my spouse’s name changed?

If your or your spouse or common-law partner’s name changed during the year, you need to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (if applicable) know as soon as possible. Notifying these agencies before you file your return helps avoid problems when filing your return online.

If, however, you’re unable to notify the CRA and/or Revenu Québec of your name change before you file your return, you should file with your old name. Keep in mind, the notice of assessment (NOA) you will receive for the year will be in your old name.

Note: You can’t use your or your spouse’s return to inform the CRA or Revenu Québec of a name change.

Canadian residents living outside Québec

The process for reporting your name change depends on whether you changed your first name, your last name, or both. For example, if you only changed your first name or your last name, simply call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 and inform them of the change. Since you’ll need to provide proof of identity over the phone, be sure to have your social insurance number (SIN) and a copy of your latest tax return handy.

If however, you changed both your first and last name, you’ll need to mail or fax a letter containing the following information to your local tax center:

  • Your old name and new name
  • Your SIN
  • Your signature

Unfortunately, the CRA doesn’t accept name changes via email or through the My Account service at this time.

Refer to the Service Canada website for more information on changing your name with other relevant government departments and agencies.

Canadian residents living in Québec

If your or your spouse’s name change application has been accepted by the Directeur de l'état civil, inform Revenu Québec of the change using one of the following methods:

  • By calling 1-800-267-6299 or

  • By mailing a copy of the name change certificate received from the Directeur de l’état civil to one of the following applicable addresses:  


Note: Even if you completed the simplified forwarding of information relative to a change of name form with the name change application, the Directeur de l'état civil won’t notify Revenu Québec of the change; you must inform them yourself.

Was this article helpful?
194 out of 280 found this helpful