Manitoba Primary Caregiver Tax Credit

As a primary caregiver of a spouse, relative, friend, or neighbor who lives at home in Manitoba, you might be able to claim a refundable credit on your return for the care you’ve provided.

The person requiring your care must:

  • Be a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year
  • Live in a private residence (not a group home, hospital, personal care home, etc.)
  • Be an insured person as defined in the Health Services Insurance Act
  • Assessed as requiring care at Level 2 or higher under the Manitoba Home Care Program guidelines

As a primary caregiver, you must:

  • Live in Manitoba
  • Have provided care to the recipient for at least 90 days
  • Not have been paid for the care you provided (this includes your spouse or common-law partner; they can’t be paid for the care you or they provided to the care recipient)
  • Be designated as a primary caregiver by the care recipient

In order to be designated as a primary caregiver, both you and the person in your care (or their parent, if they’re under 18) need to complete the primary caregiver tax credit application and have it approved by the Regional Health Authority (RHA) or the Manitoba Department of Families. Click here for more information on where to submit your application.

Once your application has been approved, you’ll receive a copy of it (to be kept with your records), the care level equivalency guideline (if required), as well as log sheets. Log sheets are used to document the date you started providing care to the recipient, any interruptions in caregiving, as well as the type(s) of care provided. These must be updated on an on-going basis. If required, you can print additional log sheets by visiting the government of Manitoba’s website.

How much can I claim?

Starting 2018, you can claim a flat tax credit of $1,400 per year (regardless of the number of care recipients). Keep in mind, you must have been the primary caregiver for each care recipient for at least 90 days. For example, if you start caring for someone on October 1st, you can claim the credit as long as you continue caring for them into the new year. Visit the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office website for more information on eligibility.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2018 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2018.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba primary caregiver tax credit, then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba primary caregiver tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
5 out of 8 found this helpful