Your T3: Statement of trust income allocations and designations slip shows income allocated to you, as a beneficiary, by a trust (such as a personal or estate trust). You might also receive a T3 if you had investment income from a non-mutual funds in non-registered accounts.
The income shown on the T3 slip could be in the form of interest, dividends, and capital gains, and is taxable.
Typically, you won’t receive a T3 slip if the income allocated to you for the year is less than $100. Nevertheless, you still have to report these small amounts on your return. For more information, check out the article, Interest or dividend income not shown on a slip.
Note: If you had taxable gains from the disposition of eligible capital property, they must be indicated on Schedule 3. If you have management fees related to any of your investment income, enter those amounts on the Statement of investment income, carrying charges, and interest expenses page.
In addition to a T3, Québec residents will also receive a Relevé 16: Trust income (RL-16) slip, unless the amounts earned within the trust are below a certain amount (typically less than $100). However, it’s still your responsibility to report these small amounts on your return.
If you have an amount in box 26 of your T3 slip and you received all or part of this income from a communal organization, you’ll need to report self-employment income and complete the T2125: Statement of business or professional activities page in H&R Block’s tax software.
To add the T2125 page to your return:
- On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- In the Self-employment income and expenses box, click the Add This Topic button.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You’ll find yourself here:
- Under the BUSINESS AND SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME section, select the checkbox labelled Statement of business or professional services, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the Statement of business or professional services page, enter your information into the tax software.
Where do I enter this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
- On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here:
- Type T3 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.
- When you arrive at the page for your T3, enter your information into the tax software.