Relevé 24: Childcare Expenses

Your Relevé 24 (RL-24) slip, issued by your childcare service provider, shows the total amount paid for childcare expenses during the year. As long as they offer childcare services, an eligible provider can include:

  • Daycare centres
  • Boarding schools
  • Overnight camps
  • Day camps or
  • Nursery schools

In addition to receiving an RL-24 slip from your childcare provider, you must also meet the eligibility requirements outlined by Revenu Québec in order to claim the tax credit for childcare expenses.

What if my childcare provider isn’t required to issue an RL-24 slip?

In some cases, Revenu Québec might not require your childcare provider to issue you an RL-24 slip. If so, make sure you get their name, address and social insurance number (SIN) when getting your receipt. Be sure to keep this information with your receipt in case Revenu Québec asks to see it later.

Do all childcare expenses qualify for this credit?

No. Some expenses, like those shown in box D of the RL-24 slip, don’t qualify for this credit. These can include the contribution set by the government, additional fees charged for field trips, expenses for meals that are not included in the childcare costs, and more.  For a complete list of non-qualifying expenses, refer to the Revenu Québec website.

Note: Even if certain amounts reported on your paper RL-24 slip are considered non-qualifying expenses by Revenu Québec, you’re still required to report them when completing your return.

Will the information shown on my RL-24 slip be used elsewhere in my return?

Yes. H&R Block’s tax software will automatically transfer the amounts you enter in the RL-24 page of the software and complete your Schedule C: Tax credit for childcare expenses for you.

For certain childcare expenses, the information found on your RL-24 slip can be used to claim a federal deduction on the T778: Child Care Expenses page. To find the T778 page:

  1. Click your child’s name located on the left-hand navigation panel.

  2. Navigate to the ABOUT {Dependant} page under the PREPARE tab.


  3. Select T778 under the Expenses section and click Continue.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:

Note: In order to claim childcare expenses,  make sure that you’ve told us about your dependant(s) for whom you’ll be claiming the expenses.

  1. On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  2. Type RL-24 or relevé 24 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your RL-24 slip, enter your information into the tax software. 


Was this article helpful?
12 out of 29 found this helpful