I haven’t filed a return in a few years. Should I start by filing the oldest return?

Yes. If you haven’t yet filed a return for a previous year, you should do so before you NETFILE your 2018 return. This is so that you can take advantage of certain carry forward amounts that you might have available from a previous year including:

  • Your tuition, education, and textbook amounts
  • Your net or non-capital losses
  • Your donations and gifts

Completing returns from past years will also determine your RRSP deduction limit for 2018.

Note: If you’re preparing your return(s) electronically, you must use a tax software that’s specific to the year you’re filing for. H&R Block’s 2016 tax software and 2017 tax software are still available for you to use. However, if you need to complete a return for 2015 or earlier, you can visit an H&R Block retail office and one of our Tax Experts will be happy to help.

Where can I learn more?

Was this article helpful?
265 out of 322 found this helpful