If you were a full-time student in Québec at some point in 2018, you’ll receive a Relevé 8 (RL-8) slip from your college or university. This slip shows the total amount you paid for full-time post-secondary studies or occupational training, examination fees, as well as any donations you made to your school.
Note: The following fees and expenses are not included on the RL-8 slip:
- student association fees
- expenses for medical services
- meal and lodging expenses
- transportation expenses and parking fees
As a student, you can use the amount reported in box B of your RL-8 slip to claim a tax credit for tuition or examination fees on your Québec return. Remember, you can only claim this tax credit if the amount reported in box B is more than $100.
My child is enrolled in post-secondary studies and won’t be claiming a tax credit for tuition or examination fees this year. Can I claim a credit instead?
Yes. If you’re the parent of a child that’s enrolled, you can use the amount reported in box A of your child’s RL-8 slip to claim the amount for a child enrolled in post-secondary studies. Make sure that your child indicates on his or her tax return which parent will be claiming this amount.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
- On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon.
- Type RL-8 or relevé 8 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.
- When you arrive at the page for your RL-8, enter your information into the tax software.