If you’re a teacher or early childhood educator, you can claim a 15% refundable tax credit on up to $1,000 of your school supply purchases in 2018.
To be eligible, you must:
- be employed as a teacher or early childhood educator at an elementary or secondary school or at a regulated childcare facility and
- hold a valid teacher’s certificate or a certificate or diploma in early childhood education that’s recognized in the province or territory where you work.
Note: If you’re claiming this credit, it’s important to know that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) might ask you to provide a certification prepared by your employer that validates your eligible supply expenses. Be sure to request certification from your employer before you complete your return and keep it with your records in case the CRA wants to see it later.
What kinds of supplies are eligible for this credit?
In order for the supplies you buy to be considered eligible, they must:
- be purchased during the tax year
- be used in a school or in a regulated childcare facility for teaching or to help students learn
- not be reimbursable, subject to an allowance, or other form of assistance (unless these amounts are included in your income and aren’t deductible) and
- not be deducted or used in calculating a deduction from anyone’s income for any tax year
Eligible supplies can include any of the following products:
- Construction paper
- Various items used in science experiments
- Art supplies
- Writing materials (pens, pencils, sharpeners, etc.)
- Games and puzzles
- Books used in the classroom and
- Educational support software
- Containers (plastic boxes or banker boxes)
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
- On the PREPARE tab, click the REQUIRED icon.
- Click the Special situations link. You'll find yourself here:
- Answer Yes to the question, Are you a teacher or early childhood educator who bought teaching supplies?.
- Enter the amount you paid for eligible supply expenses for 2018 in the designated field of the tax software.