If you or your spouse or common-law partner received fertility treatment in 2018 from a licensed medical practitioner or infertility treatment clinic in Manitoba, you might be able to claim the Manitoba Fertility Treatment Tax Credit, equal to 40% of the costs of treatment. You can claim up to $20,000 for a maximum of $8,000 per year. There’s no limit on the number of treatments you can claim, as long as the amount claimed isn’t more than the maximum yearly amount.
Note: Either you or your spouse can claim this tax credit but it can’t be split between you both.
You can claim the Manitoba Fertility Treatment Tax Credit if:
- You’re a resident of Manitoba on December 31
- You or your spouse paid for fertility treatments in 2018 and
- The fertility treatment is given by a Manitoba licensed medical practitioner or fertility treatment clinic located in the province
Note: You can’t claim a credit for fertility treatments outside of Manitoba but you can claim any costs from follow-up treatments by a Manitoba physician.
What expenses can I claim?
Some examples of treatments that you can claim include:
- Ovulation Induction
- Therapeutic Donor Insemination (TDI)
- Hyperstimulation/Intrauterine Insemination (HS/IUI)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Frozen Embryo Transfer
Keep in mind, this isn't a complete list of eligible treatments. Click here to see what expenses and treatments are eligible.
Note: You can only claim eligible expenses that weren’t reimbursed to you already (for example, by a private health care coverage).
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2018 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2018.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the MOST POPULAR icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the Credits section, select the checkbox labelled Medical expenses, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for Medical expenses, enter your information into the field labelled Amount paid to a fertility clinic or licensed physician in Manitoba for infertility treatment services.