You’ll receive a Relevé 1: Employment and other income (RL-1) slip from each Québec-based employer you worked for during the year. This slip shows your income as well as any amounts deducted from it, including income tax, QPP contributions, and union dues.
Important: Your employer will also issue you a T4: Statement of remuneration paid slip, which is the RL-1’s corresponding federal slip. You’ll need to enter the information from both slips into H&R Block’s 2018 tax software when preparing your return.
I worked in Québec during the year but have moved to a different province
If at any time during the year you worked in Québec, you will receive a T4 and an RL-1 slip for the income you received from your Québec-based employer. Be sure to enter both slips into H&R Block’s tax software to correctly calculate your tax payable or refund.
I didn’t live or work in Québec during the year but received an RL-1 slip
Even if you didn’t live or work in Québec during the year, you will receive a T4 and an RL-1 slip if you worked for a Québec-based employer and you got paid by the establishment from within Québec. For example, let’s say you live in Ontario and work from home for a company located in Québec. Since this company pays you from their establishment in Québec, they are required to issue a T4 and an RL-1 slip to you. You must enter both slips into H&R Block’s tax software to correctly calculate your tax payable or refund.
I lived in Québec but worked in another province
If you lived in Québec but worked in another province, you might receive the following:
- A T4 slip with no RL-1 slip – This might be the case if your employer doesn’t have an office in Québec.
- A T4 slip and an RL-1 slip – You’ll receive an RL-1 slip even if you worked in another province if your employer contributed towards your private health insurance plan (amounts in box A and/or box J). Since this is taxable income, your employer must issue an RL-1 slip to you.
If you received a T4 slip and an RL-1 slip, be sure to enter information from both slips into H&R Block’s tax software to correctly calculate your tax payable or refund.
The amounts on my T4 and RL-1 slip are different
Since federal and Québec income taxes are calculated differently, certain amounts on your T4 and RL-1 slips might not be the same. For example, employer contributions to private health insurance plans are considered taxable income in Québec and are included in the employment income amount on the RL-1 slip. That is not the case federally. Be sure to enter amounts from both your T4 and RL-1 slips into H&R Block’s tax software to correctly calculate your tax payable or refund.
Where do I enter this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
- Under the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You’ll find yourself here:
- Type RL-1 or relevé 1 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.
- When you arrive at the page for your RL-1, enter your information into the tax software.