If you’re a resident of Manitoba and either purchased and installed or manufactured geothermal heat pump systems, solar thermal heating equipment, or biomass fuel energy equipment, you might be able to claim the Manitoba green energy equipment tax credit.
The green energy equipment that qualifies for this tax credit includes:
- Geothermal ground source heating systems that’re mainly used for heating an actively circulated liquid or gas and is part of a ground source heat pump system that meets the standards set by the Canadian Standards Association.
- Solar heating equipment that’s used for heating liquid or gas such as solar collectors, solar energy conversion equipment, solar water heaters, energy storage equipment, control equipment, and equipment that interfaces solar heating equipment with other heating equipment.
- Equipment that’s used for co-generation of energy using biomass fuel.
All green energy equipment must be new; reconditioned or re-manufactured equipment doesn’t qualify for this tax credit. Refer to Manitoba government’s website for more information on what equipment qualifies for this tax credit, and to learn whether you should claim this credit as a purchaser (property-owner) or a manufacturer.
How much can I claim?
- 15% of the eligible capital installation cost of geothermal ground source heating systems (not including the cost of the heat pump) plus 7.5% of the cost of the qualifying geothermal heat pump if it was manufactured in Manitoba
- 10% of the eligible capital cost of qualified solar thermal heating equipment installed in 2018
As a manufacturer, you can claim 7.5% of your total sale price of the heat pumps you sold in during the year (as long as you manufactured qualifying geothermal heat pumps that were sold for use in Manitoba).
Where can I claim this?
Before you begin, ensure that you’ve told us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2018.
If you’re a property owner who bought and installed green energy equipment, follow these steps:
- On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba green energy equipment tax credit for purchasers and click Continue.
- When you reach the page for your Manitoba green energy equipment tax credit for purchasers, enter your information in the software.
If you’re a manufacturer of green energy equipment, follow these steps:
- On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- In the Self-employment income and expenses box, click the Add This Topic button.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba green energy equipment tax credit for manufacturers, then click Continue.
- When you reach the page for your Manitoba green energy equipment tax credit for manufacturers, enter your information in the software.