TP-1086.R.23.12-V: Costs Incurred for Work on an Immovable

During the year, if you paid to renovate, improve, maintain, or repair a property in Québec that you used to run a business or earn income, you’ll need to complete a TP-1086.R.23.12-V form to report these expenses. Your property could be a building, a structure, or land in Québec.

You need to provide information of every person or business you hired to carry out work on your property except:

  • An operator of a gas, telecommunications, or electricity distribution network
  • A government body or
  • You or one of your employees

If you don’t file a TP-1086.R.23.12-V with your tax return, you’ll be fined $200 for every person or business you don’t provide information for. Similarly, anyone who doesn’t provide you with the information you need will be fined $500.

Note: If you paid for the work outlined above, you must file a TP-1086.R.23.12-V even if you aren’t required to file a tax return this year.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2018.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the MISCELLANEOUS section, select the checkbox labelled Costs incurred for work on an immovable (TP-1086.R.23.12-V), then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the Costs incurred for work on an immovable page, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
9 out of 11 found this helpful