TL11A: Tuition and Enrolment Certificate - University Outside Canada

Important: Beginning January 1, 2017, the federal education and textbook tax credits have been discontinued (students will still be able to claim the tuition tax credit). If you’ve got unused education and textbook credits from years prior to 2017, you’ll still be able to claim them or carry forward these amounts for use on future returns. 


If you attended a university outside of Canada, the TL11A certificate you receive from the university certifies your eligibility for the Canadian tuition tax credit, which is claimable on your Schedule 11 (and Schedule T, if you’re a Québec resident) form.

To qualify for the tuition tax credit, you must have:

  • Paid at least $100 in school fees
  • Attended university full-time (3 consecutive weeks for each course) while studying for your bachelor’s degree or an equivalent level

Note: H&R Block’s tax software automatically claims the tuition tax credit for you based on the information you enter on the TL11A page in the software. As you enter your information into the tax software from your TL11A, make sure that the total time you studied part-time and full-time doesn’t equal more than 12 months.

If you don’t need the full tuition tax credit amount to reduce your tax payable this year, you can:

  • Carry forward the rest to use in a future year – In this case, you must claim the carried forward amount in the first year you have to pay federal income tax.


  • Transfer it to a family member – You can transfer any unused tuition amount to your spouse, parent or grandparent, or your spouse’s parent or grandparent. You’ll only be able to do this for credits you earned this year (transfers of a previous year’s tuition, education, and textbook amounts aren’t allowed).


  • If you commuted to a university in the US, you’ll receive a TL11C certificate instead of a TL11A. Enter your TL11C in the same manner as listed in the Where do I claim this? section below.
  • If you’re a deemed resident of Canada and attended a university outside of the country, you’ll receive a TL11D. Unfortunately, as a deemed resident you won’t be able to file your return using H&R Block’s tax software; instead, please check out our website to find one of our retail locations near you. Our Tax Experts would be happy to help you with your return!

Am I eligible to claim the tuition amounts?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) states that for you to claim the tuition tax credit, the foreign educational institute you went to must meet all of the following conditions:

  • it has the authority to give academic degrees of at least the bachelor level or equivalent
  • it has an academic entrance requirement of at least secondary school matriculation standing
  • it is structured for teaching, study, and research in the higher branches of learning

An educational institute outside Canada that only gives associate degrees, diplomas, certificates, or degrees at level less than a bachelor’s doesn’t qualify for the tuition tax credit. For more information, refer to the CRA website.

Claiming the corresponding provincial tax credit

Important: The Ontario and Saskatchewan tuition and education credits have been discontinued. However, students can continue to carry forward any unused amounts from a previous year to be used in a future year.  Keep in mind, carryforward amounts can’t be transferred to a family member and can only be claimed by you.

If you’re eligible to claim the federal tuition tax credit, you’re also entitled to claim a corresponding provincial or territorial tax credit. Fortunately, H&R Block’s tax software automatically completes your federal and provincial Schedule 11 forms for you (or Schedule T, if you’re a resident of Québec) based on the information you enter from your TL11A.

Additionally, depending on your province/territory of residence, you might still be able to claim the provincial education and textbook amounts in 2018.

Refer to the applicable link below to learn more about your provincial/territorial tuition amounts (including the education and textbook amounts):

Note: If you’re a resident of Québec, you’ll need to also enter your RL-8 slip on the QUICK SLIP page under the QUICK ENTRY tab. If you didn’t receive an RL-8 slip from your university, you’ll need to request the university to complete one. Be sure to confirm with the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur (MEES) that your university is recognized by them for the tax credit. If you’ve confirmed that your fee is eligible for the tuition tax credit but you’re unable to get an RL-8 slip from your university (outside of Canada), you can enter information from your TL11A into the RL-8 page in H&R Block’s tax software.

What’s included in the tuition amount on the TL11A?

The total tuition amount on your TL11A includes:

  • Your tuition
  • Mandatory support services fees that all students must pay (fees like health services or athletics other than student association fees)
  • Your admission
  • Use of the library or laboratory
  • Exams
  • Fees for getting your degree

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:

  1. On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  2. Type TL11A in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the TL11A page, enter your information into the tax software.

    Note: If you’re a resident of Québec, you’ll need to also enter your RL-8 slip.

Was this article helpful?
19 out of 24 found this helpful