If you have any deductions or claims you’d like to make for a tax shelter this year, you’ll need to use the TP-1079.6-V. With this form, you can:
- Deduct a loss for a tax shelter or investment in a tax shelter
- Claim a deduction or tax credit for a tax shelter or an investment in a tax shelter
- Claim a deduction or tax credit for a tax shelter that’s a gifting arrangement
You’ll need to provide the following information when completing the TP-1079.6-V form:
- The tax shelter identification number
- The losses you want to deduct
- The deductions or tax credits you want to claim
- The number of the line on your income tax where you’re entering these amounts
Remember, in order for you to be able to deduct or claim an amount for a tax shelter, you must include your tax shelter identification number on the TP-1079.6-V form and fully pay off any penalties, or interest on those penalties, beforehand.
A tax shelter identification number must be obtained before the promoter can issue or sell a tax shelter to an investor. It’s important to remember that simply receiving the tax shelter identification number doesn’t confirm your entitlement, as an investor, to claim any tax benefits associated with a tax shelter – the number itself is only used for administrative purposes. According to Revenu Québec, a tax shelter identification number is issued by the Minister of Revenue and is only valid for the calendar year specified on the application.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2018.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- In the Investments box, click the Add This Topic button.
- Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the INVESTMENTS IN TAX SHELTERS heading, select the checkbox labelled Statement of losses, deductions and tax credits respecting a tax shelter (TP-1079.6-V), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the TP-1079.6-V page, enter your information into the tax software.