Scholarships, grants, or bursaries not reported on a slip

As a student, scholarships, grants, and bursaries can provide some much-needed financial relief. However, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) treats these amounts like income, and you need to report them on your tax return.

Generally speaking, these amounts are shown on either a T4A or RL-1 slip. But even if they aren’t, you still have to report them on your return.

Tax tip: If you’re not eligible to claim the federal tuition amount, you’ll only need to report the amount of your scholarships, grants, and bursaries that is over $500.

Example: Judy received a scholarship worth $750 to help pay for a course she is taking, but she does not meet the eligibility requirements to claim the federal tuition amount. As a result, Judy only needs to report $250 of the scholarship amount on her return ($750 - $500).

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. In the Unused tuition amounts and student loans box, click the Add This Topic button.

  3. Click the STUDENTS icon. You'll find yourself here:


  4. Under the INCOME section, select the checkbox labelled Scholarships, grants, and bursaries.

  5. When you arrive at the Scholarships, grants, and bursaries page enter your information into the software.
Was this article helpful?
130 out of 183 found this helpful