As a student, scholarships, grants, and bursaries can provide some much-needed financial relief. However, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) treats these amounts like income, and you need to report them on your tax return.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software:
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- In the Unused tuition amounts and student loans box, click the Add This Topic button.
- Click the STUDENTS icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the INCOME section, select the checkbox labelled Scholarships, grants, and bursaries.
- When you arrive at the Scholarships, grants, and bursaries page enter your information into the software.