TP-726.6-V: Cumulative Net Investment Loss

If you're a resident of Québec who had investment income or deducted investment expenses after 1987, and you want to figure out your cumulative net investment loss (CNIL) at the end of 2018, you’ll need to use form TP-726.6-V.

Your CNIL consists of the investment expenses you’ve deducted minus the investment income you’ve earned after 1987.

Keep in mind, your CNIL reduces your cumulative gains limit, which in turn reduces the amount you can claim for capital gains deduction for qualified farm or fishing property, or qualified small business corporation shares. Even if you’re not claiming a capital gains deduction this year, we recommend completing this form so that you can calculate your CNIL and use this amount in the future.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2018 tax software: 

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2018.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. In the Investments box, click the Add This Topic button.



  4. Select the checkbox labelled Cumulative net investment loss (TP-726.6-V), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for your Cumulative net investment loss, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
2 out of 4 found this helpful